To be able to create a Wireless Ad Hoc Network, one of your computer will be act as "Hotspot" and the other computers will be the client. The client computers configured just like if they are connecting to a wireless access point. You just need to scan the wireless network, connect to SSID that provided by the first computer.
How to create a Wireless Ad Hoc Network between two Computers?
This tutorial is using computer with Windows XP operating system.
Configuring Hotspot Computer
- Go to your Network Connection and then double-click the wireless adapter.
- Click on "Change advanced settings" on the left pane. And you will be bring to Wireless Network Connection Properties.
- Navigate to "Wireless Networks" tab, and on the "Preferred Networks" click on Add.
- Now you are on "Wireless Network Properties". Fill in the "Network name (SSID)" with anything you like. For example "SM Howto"
- Check "Connect even if this network is not broadcasting" to make it always available.
- On the "Wireless network key" part, choose "Open" for "Network Authentication" and choose "Disabled" on "Data encryption" show that every computer that want to connect to this network would not be asked for password.
- The main part is to check "This is a computer-tocomputer (ad hoc) network; wireless access points are not used". Click OK to confirm.
- Next, go to your Wireless Network List and you will see "SM Howto" listed on it. Connect to it. And move to the client computer.
Remember that the client computer will never see your Wireless network SSID that you've made before, until you connect to it on the "Hotspot" computer. So the connection status on the "Hotspot" computer will be "Not Connected", that's mean this computer is waiting for connection from another computer. The client computer. See the figure below:
Configuring Client ComputerTo connect to ad hoc network from client computer, just go to your "Network Connection" and double-click your network adapter. You will see the newly created ad hoc network "SM Howto". Just connect to it, and you are done. The next thing is to configure the IP address for all computers to be on the same network.
|Connected Client Computer|
|Connected Android Device|