Hikvision is one of the CCTV Video Surveillance supplier includes IP Camera, DVR and NVR that used by many middle-sized companies or individuals. Just like many other vendors, it also needs Internet Explorer to accessed the devices. Luckily, it is also use RTSP protocol for live viewing the camera.
With VLC, you can now able to stream the Hikvision live view using RTSP link. if you have IP Camera, DVR, NVR or any other video capture device that support RTSP, you have the opportunity to stream it using VLC if you know the video path.
On this how to, I am using Hikvision DVR DS-7204HQHI-F1/N with 4 channels camera and enabled Channel zero. I am using Lubuntu 16.04 and VLC Media Player. You will see how important to know the exact path of the streaming RTSP url. Please watch this video first:
As you can see from the video above, all you need to do is open VLC Media Player click on "Media" and choose "Open Network Stream...". The most important thing is the RTSP stream URL. Here is the explanation for Hikvision RTSP Stream URL link:
The stream URL is: rtsp://smhowto:[email protected]:554/Streaming/Channels/402
- rtsp = The streaming protocol
- smhowto = username of user that have access to the DVR
- 12345678a = password of the user above
- 172.18.37.92 = IP address of the DVR
- 554 = default port of rtsp protocol, it can be configured from the DVR
- 4 = channel to be accessed, 4 means channel 4 of the DVR. To access Channel zero, use this rtsp streaming url: rtsp://smhowto:[email protected]:554/Streaming/Channels/1
- 2 = substream live view, if you want access the mainstream use 1. Example to access channel 1 mainstream: rtsp://smhowto:[email protected]:554/Streaming/Channels/101
Every CCTV Camera Surveillance vendor have their own method or path to the stream URL. You need to find out it first or just try your luck.